If you?re new to the business of life insurance, getting started can seem daunting, to say the least. How do you handle your first clients? How many policies must you have ready to go over? Do you have to know about every policy out there before you can get started? At SilverSide, we know — there are a lot of questions. But it?s okay to not have all the answers right away. Luckily, SilverSide Insurance Marketing is here with some tips for new life insurance agents, to get you started and to keep you going:
- Customer Service Skills Are a Must: In a highly competitive business like life insurance, something as simple as customer service skills can make all the difference in the world, especially when setting you apart from your competitors. Good life insurance agents understand that making clients feel valued and important can tip the scales back in your favor even when the quote isn?t the lowest. Remember, you are in sales, and as a sales professional, your job is to find the product best suited to your client?s needs while educating them about it, meaning that selling life insurance is creating a lifelong relationship that will grow and change as their needs do.
- Relate to Your Client, and Build Their Trust: Since you?ll be building a lifelong relationship with your clients, make sure you build their trust. Work hard to maintain transparency with them, by educating them about their options every step of the way. Not only that, but actually take the time to get to know your client — talk about their work, family, and interests. Not only will this show your clients that you care, but it will also help you get to know their wants and needs in a way that will best serve you in helping them find the product for them.
- Market Yourself: Learn what sets you apart from other life insurance agents, and market those skills. What you say and how you say it, from spoken words to body language all matter, as do the impressions you make with punctuality, the way you dress, and demeanor. Make sure you?re dressing for success: learn what style is most you while still remaining professional, and embrace it! How you set yourself apart is how clients will remember you, so make sure you leave a good impression.
- Perseverance: An agent can have all the talent in the world, but if they don?t keep persisting, they have no chance of success. Life insurance is as tough a business as any, and it takes time, effort, and (most importantly) failure to become a real success. The fact is, in a business as tough as this, life insurance agents are going to run into a lot of ?no?s. What defines a good agent, though, is their ability to persevere after a no. A no isn?t always a bad thing: When a client says no, you can either adjust the pitch or you can take them off your list, leaving you with more time to dedicate to other clients or prospects that could likely become a yes. Remember, every no brings you closer to your next yes.
- Find a Reliable Team: Working with other life insurance agents is key, as simply swapping stories can prove to be a learning experience for agents who are newer to the business. Everyone has faced rejection from prospects, but there?s no way of knowing if you don?t network with other agents. Fellow life insurance agents can be excellent sources of training, encouragement, and support when you?re just starting out. And it?s not just agents you want to work with — knowing trusted carriers and reliable marketing teams is crucial, too!
Your Reliable Team at SilverSide
If you?re new to the insurance business and don?t know where to start, SilverSide Insurance Marketing?s reliable network of trusted life insurance agents is a valuable asset. We?re proud to offer help and tips to those in the business of life insurance through our weekly blog, so be sure to check that out, and give us a call to learn how you can become a contracted agent with SilverSide Insurance Marketing today!